i’ve been doing some preliminary doodles in my sketch book for the first character in my Punch and Judy set; Mr. Punch himself. I’ve started with the same pattern I used for Mr. Skelly but it’s going to need quite a few modifications. I’ll need seperate pieces for the body, the head, the chin and the nose. The clothes and any other additional features will be applied last. I’ve got some skin coloured felt for his face and chin, but I’m in two minds as to how red to make his nose. I have some deep pink felt that’s red-ish like a nose but not red like his clothes. I think this would be more effective than just using the same tone as the rest of his face. Maybe when I start cutting out shapes it’ll seem clearer to me.
Tag Archives: Pattern
This weekend I made a little purple monster using the ‘Harry’ pattern and a few modifications. He’s got dark orange buttons for eyes and a wedge of felt for a mouth. He’s triangular, which makes him look a bit like on of the Mr. Men, but he’s certainly going to be a good buddy for Bo. Already they’ve been posing together on the back of the sofa. This latest monster is called Pascal, a name given to him by The Sock Mistress. I think the name suits him very well. I’ll make another monster using the ‘Harry’ pattern, then I’ll try something different. I’ve already drawn out the template for my next beastie, so it shouldn’t take me too long.
Thumbing through my patterns, I’ve found a very simple one for a character called “Harry.” It’s pretty flexible so I should be able to make a few different versions. I’ve got my Moleskine notebook with me, so I can do some doodles before I pick a particular design. I’ve got an idea to make a little family of these, so I’m looking forward to this project. I might need to get some more felt squares because the ones I’ve got are more ‘Autumn’ colours and I think these should be much brighter.
I’ve now drawn and cut out all the felt pieces I need to make my tree shaped man. I made myself some templates out of paper and pinned them to the felt first. Normally I’m a bit more slapdash, but since I’ve not used this pattern before I thought I’d resist the urge to do everything freehand. I traced round the templates with chalk, then cut them out (being careful not to go over the edges) and luckily I didn’t have any mishaps. I still haven’t found any fruit shaped buttons but I might have a look around the local market later today and see what I can find.
I’m using a new pattern for my next monster, though I’ve made a few change here and there. His legs are going to become a ‘Jabba the Hutt’ style tail with a fish-like fin on the end. Im not sure how it will turn out once he’s finished, but it’ll give him a look all of his own. In the picture you can see my Stupid Creatures book from Hobboks and the picture of the original monster that this one is being based on.